THE BEST DRUG YOU ARE NOT CURRENTLY TAKING FOR PREVENTATIVE HEALTH
First, let's discuss WHY I am writing this blog: (#’s taking from CDC - Center for Disease Control and Prevention)
- Percent of adults aged 20 and over with obesity: 37.9% (2013-2014)
- Percent of adults aged 20 and over with overweight, including obesity: 70.7% (2013-2014)
- Percent of adolescents aged 12-19 years with obesity: 20.6% (2013-2014)
- Percent of children aged 6-11 years with obesity: 17.4% (2013-2014)
- Percent of children aged 2-5 years with obesity: 9.4% (2013-2014)
- Why is Obesity and/or being Overweight so bad?
- Having unhealthy levels of body fat on (weight) compared to lean mass (muscle) has been shown to be a marker for things like early death and diseases and or metabolic syndrome like: CVD, Heart Failure, Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, Stroke and Cancer
- The good news?
- Lifestyle interventions are even more powerful than medication when it comes to preventing these conditions
- THE ROOT OF IT ALL: The Western Diet (North American Diet Mentality Madness)
- Dietary pattern followed by most in the North America which consists of processed and fast foods with high-calorie density and low-nutrient density
- Provides of a lot of energy but lacks nutrients like vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients
- The combined effect of Western Diet combined with a sedentary lifestyle is responsible for the epidemic levels of disease and obesity found in developed nations like the US
- Diabetes Type 2 - is a lifestyle-related disease, and is almost always preventable through the choices we make each day
- CVD - Still the #1 killer of North Americans - it kills more people than the next 6 leading causes of death combined, someone has a heart attack every 34 seconds
- Each minute, someone in the US dies from a heart disease-related event
- TO SAY THE CVD IS A PROBLEM OF EPIDEMIC PROPORTIONS WOULD BE AN UNDERSTATEMENT
- Thus, improving diet, exercise and lifestyle can prevent and even reverse the events of Type 2 diabetes, CVD and other chronic diseases
- SIMPLE BEHAVIOR & LIFESTYLE MODIFICATIONS TO REDUCE RISK OF DISEASE:
- Maintain a healthy body fat % (Under 15% for men, Under 22% for females)
- Space meals evenly
- Avoid or minimize alcohol intake (fewer than 5 drinks per week)
- Eat 1-2 servings of veggies with every meal
- Eat at least 25 grams of fiber per day from a variety of food sources
- Eat lean protein at most (if not all) meals (about 20-30 grams for women and 40-60 grams for men)
- Avoid trans fat consumption (shoot for 0 grams per day)
- Exercise at least 3-5 hours per week, using a combo of resistance training and aerobic exercise
- Minimize refined and high-sugar carbs
- Eat/Supplement with food containing Omega 3 (ALA, EPA, DHA) - Flax, walnuts, Algae, Mackerel, Salmon,
TAKE AWAY: LIFESTYLE IS THE MOST POWERFUL WAY TO IMPROVE HEALTH AND PREVENT DISEASE AND BOTH EXERCISES AND NUTRITION PLAY A VERY POWERFUL ROLE.
Are you doing the work???
If you are ready to make a commitment to yourself and your health, then Training for Warriors is the place to be.
We will guide you every step of the way with your Training, Nutrition and Lifestyle habits.
Try a week of classes for free by clicking here and reaching out!
Yours in strength,